Here is how we survive day to day with our finances, transportation, accommodation, food and entertainment. We are always learning new ways and adapting to each new situation, so our journey is constantly evolving!
- We have been intentional with our finances and budget each day using mint.
- We analyze our spending every two weeks to keep us in check.
- Read more on our finances and budgeting here.
Current spending: $46 AVG/DAY
We like to travel slow and go our own pace. We have found that having your own wheels allows more freedom. We jump at the opportunity to take the road less traveled:)
We have traveled by:
United States, Canada
BACKPACK & PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Australia, Singapore, Thailand
We have enjoyed almost every style of accomodation.
- Gracious friends and family
- Air B&B
- Tent camping
- Housesitting through trustedhousesitters.com
- Couch Surfing on couchsurfing.com
We love to eat, so this is a big topic for us!
WHAT WE DO MOST?
Grocery shopping. We have noticed we eat a lot healthier and we tend to lose weight when we prepare our own meals.
DO WE GO OUT TO EAT?
Rarely. When we were in the United States, Canada and New Zealand we rarely went out to eat. When we did, we shared our meals. In South East Asia, food has been less expensive so eating out is the way to go!
HOW DO YOU SAVE MONEY ON FOOD?
1. We do most of our meals by grocery shopping.
2. We don’t drink alcohol regularly. When we do, we buy it at the store instead of ordering it at a restaurant.
3. We share all of our meals when we eat out at restaurants, even in South East Asia.
Traveling is all about having fun, experiencing new places and trying new things!
We try to save money as we go by:
1. Hiking! We love to hike and use our feet to take us to new views! It's free:)
2. Finding budget friendly and free things to do
3. Find promo codes to get discounts on experiences and expeditions
4. Know you will be doing something a lot, like kayaking? Buy your own kayak to save money in the long run! We did this in New Zealand and carted an inflatable kayak around in our camper van. Saved hundreds over renting our own!
Have other ideas? please share!