Heading out on a train ride and have a lot of time on your hands with family, friends, or strangers in your cabin? Here’s 20 fun questions, trivia, and conversation starters to spark new conversations and create awesome new memories with your travel pals!
20 Fun Questions, Trivia, & Conversation Starters for a Train Trip
Would You Rather:
1. Take a train or a plane to a new destination?
2. Have a full week train trip in a passenger car full of strangers, or one all to yourself where you can’t communicate with anyone else?
3. Take a week long train trip stopping every 3 hours for one hour at a time or not stopping at all.
4. Travel the Trans-Siberian Railway or take a train in India?
5. Travel on a train only at night or only during the day?
If You Could:
6. Take a train ride anywhere in the world, which train experience would you want to have?
7. Ride a train in any country, which country would you ride through?
8. See any scenery in the world from a train, what would you want to see?
9. Take only one thing to do on a train ride, what would it be?
10. Find yourself sitting next to anyone on a train for a two day trip, who’d you pick to sit next to?
Tell Me About:
11. Your favorite train ride experience.
12. A fear you have of train rides.
13. Your favorite way to spend your time on a train.
14. The most interesting person you’ve met or interaction you’ve had on a train ride.
15. The most interesting reason you’ve had to take a train ride.
16. What country boasts the most miles of railroad tracks in the world?
Answer: USA with over 141,500 miles of tracks (228,000 km).
17. What country has the fastest train?
Answer: China with the Shanghai Maglev train that can reach 267 mph (431 km/hr).
18. What city built the first underground railway in the world?
Answer: London, England in 1863 carrying 38,000 passengers the first day.
19. How many days does it take to cross the Trans-Siberian Railway?
Answer: It depends. There are three main routes with the longest route taking seven days to travel from Moscow, Russia and Vladivostok, Russia, covering 6,152 miles (9,258 km). This is said to be the least interesting route. The “most interesting” route is Moscow, Russia to Beijing, China via Mongolia taking six nights to cover 4,735 miles (7,621 km).
20. What country has the longest train tunnel?
Answer: Switzerland with the Gotthard Tunnel that runs 35.7 miles (57.5 km) under the Swiss Alps linking northern and southern Europe and took almost two decades to complete. It’s known as the longest and deepest tunnel in the world.
Bonus: How long is the Channel Tunnel connecting London and Paris and running under the English Channel?
Answer: 31.35 miles (50.45 km) linking the island of Great Britain and Europe’s mainland.
Save These for Your Train Ride!
1. Pin this post to use later here.
2. And, download these conversation starters so you can easily pull them up later!
GET 501 QUESTIONS: A TRAVEL GAME!
Get 501 more awesome conversation starters in our new game 501 Questions: A Travel Game! Have a blast with these on all of your adventures!
"Such great conversation starters!" -Tracy K., TheMoneySmartNomad.com